“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”Michael Jordan
Failure is natural. Without failure, one can not learn and nor can one progress. All throughout my childhood I have always associated failure with a negative connotation, and have now understood my failures have made me who I am today. In fact, I have always grown up in a very competitive environment and understood quickly that failure was actually forbidden in our family. In my family failure was defined as anything and everything below average, and just to clarify – average in my family was 95%.
My view of failure was distorted growing up, and for this reason, I believe that it is vital to success. We should all fail, at least once in our life. Honestly, it was after my failures that I was able to reflect on my life through a clearer lens. I also learned that there are certain steps I can take from my end to ensure I avoid falling on my face.
So, how can you avoid failure or decrease the likelihood of failing as hard? Here is a list of some pointers I resonate with, which may help you in your own journey:
- Stop the Chatter, Take Action – STOP advertising what you are going to do, and just do it. Many times I found myself outlining my life plan for other people. Over time I realized that this was a waste of time, and started to just take action.
- Plan, but don’t over-do it – I found myself stuck in the same spot for a long time because I felt that I had to have everything planned out. Sometimes you just have to take the next step. Even though the future may seem a bit blurry, that is okay! Isn’t that the most exciting part about it all?
- Don’t Expect Anything – It is natural to want to expect a lot out of life. Do yourself a favor and don’t do it. Disappointments arise because you place expectations on certain things. Put your best foot forward in everything you do, and work hard and be happy with the progress you are making. Just don’t compare what you had expected to what the actual outcome was. Accept it and move on.
- Be Open-Minded – Life takes its course, and it is important to be adaptable. The times when I was rigid with my plan – were the times I had missed out on amazing opportunities. Opportunities are present every step of the way, just open your eyes to them and watch how amazing life becomes.
- Don’t Let Others Place Limitations on YOUR Life – I have found that many times people are very limited in what they are able to see themselves accomplishing. Often times they place these limitations on your life as well. Don’t listen to them, and keep working hard and focusing on the clear vision you have for your life. You know yourself best, so stick to the course you have planned.
There will be times when you feel lost, and there will be times when you will feel like you aren’t on the correct path. Just place your hand over your heart, and breathe. You are doing the best you can, and it can only progress from here.
Sending a lot of positive vibes your way,
Leave a Reply